Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mis-en- Scene

I decided to use a scene from Snow White and the Huntsman.
Disclaimer: I am analyzing this movie's costumes, which I personally think were outstanding. The movie as a whole in my opinion was subpar and had some serious acting and pacing problems. With that being said here is the scene.


The costume designer for this movie is named Colleen Atwood, and she is one of my personal favorite costume designers. She has won 3 Oscars for Costume Design and has had 11 Oscar nominations. I think the work that she did for this scene in particular was breathe taking.

There is so much symbolism in her costumes and they help the audience identify the character and some of their personality traits. I included another video below where Colleen talks about each character and what went into their costumes for the film.

I think that the cape in the sequence about is definitely the stand out costume piece of this film. The way it was created to tell the story of the queens transformation is superb. I think that so much went into this design on many different levels. Visually the collar is symbolic of power while the color is symbolic of death or loss. It is such a contradiction. I think that the costume really lends itself to the effects of the Queens transformation to and from the ravens. From a visual design standpoint I think that Colleen really hit the mark in all areas. Her designs are seamless and bring so much texture and form to film. They also communicate so much about the character and their transitions. The Queen in particular starts in lighter costumes, but her costumes deteriorate with her as she progress through the film. They give the audience so much contextual information about her. One of the most interesting examples of this is many of her costumes are designed to look like torture devices. I think this says a lot about the psychological state of the character. It says that she is desperate and will go to any lengths to get what she desires.

I think that Colleen Atwood is an extremely brilliant designer, and I think it is incredible what she can do with fabric to tell a story.

Snow White and the Huntsman
Director: Rupert Sanders
Production Design: Dominic Watkins
Art Director: Andrew Ackland-Snow

Colleen was under Dominic the Production Designer for this movie. There was not a lot of information about their working relationship on the film or the responsibilities each had. I was able to find that this was the first film they worked on together.


No comments:

Post a Comment