Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Design Evaluation

Pointe Shoe Advertisements 
I have been dancing for the majority of my life and have seen some pretty terrible advertisement for dance products. I originally got the idea to use this topic of dance products from a terrible dance wear commercial that was produced recently for free people dance wear. I ended up using advertisements for pointe shoes.
Good

I think this ad definitely appeals to the target audience. It shows a dancers on stage alone giving the idea that she is a soloist or principle dancer, which is the ultimate dream for many dancers. Without having to do anything else the product is already appealing to the target audience. I also love the simplicity of this design and the clarity of the context of a ballerina in the spotlight on the stage. I think the two most fundamental gestalt principles that this ad follows are the law of pragnanz because of the simplicity and clarity, and the law of continuity because of the way the dancers lines flow. 

Bad 

This ad has been around since I was very young, and I have always hated it. I think it is cluttered and confusing. The dancers are spelling out the companies name with their bodies, and even though this ad does follow the law of closure because of the way their bodies make the letters. However, I personally think it is awful. If I didn't know what the company was trying to sell I would probably be confused because this image doesn't really give much context. The people could be dancers or circus people I don't really know. In addition to that from a dance standpoint the lines of this picture are technically not the best. They are more turned in and not really technical ballet positions, which throws me off completely and makes me less interested in the project. 





No comments:

Post a Comment