Thursday, June 4, 2015

Visceral Response



I chose this picture for my Visceral Response because I have very strong emotional response when I see this image. This is The Freedom Tower in New York City it stands where the World Trade Center buildings use to be. Obviously with that knowledge this building is inherently going to make people feel something because of its connection with 9/11. This photo was taken from the FDNY Battalion 9/11 Memorial which is located near the 9/11 museum.

I think this photo has a really very interesting lines. The first line that draws my eye in is actually the flag, which due to the angle leads the eye up to the tip of the tower from there my eyes follow the lines of the triangular shape back down the tower. The horizontal lines in the building shift my eyes back over to the furthest to the right building, which has vertical lines that take the eye back up to the flag, so  I think that the lines give the photo some circular movement. Color also plays a huge part in this photo because of the colors of the flag are already associated with so much symbolism, and I really like how the colors of the flag are mirrored by the blue and white of the sky and clouds. I think this chromatic blue, silver, and white color scheme really helps the red in the flag pop and immediately draw attention. I think that the shape of the triangle in the towers design is also interesting because I associate that shape with masculinity this give the image strength in my mind. One of the most interesting elements to me in this picture is texture because there is the great smooth crisp texture from the steel and glass in the buildings, then there is texture of the flag rippling in the wind, and the softer texture of the clouds in the sky. The reason I think the texture are so interesting though is because of the way the building is reflecting the clouds. I think this texture give the building a softer more organic almost ethereal quality, which really lends itself to the ideas of this monument.

2 comments:

  1. This a beautiful photograph, I love the reflections of the clouds in the buildings. I also love the flag in this photograph. I too agree that the red strips of the flag are highlighted, and draws attention to the viewer. The texture seen in the buildings is amazing and really shows the shape and design of the buildings

    ReplyDelete