Thursday, June 11, 2015

Contrast, Balance and Harmony


I took this picture one morning from my back porch in Idaho, and for some reason I have always really liked this image. I think that now I am realizing it is because of the visual elements that are featured in the picture.

Contrast: There is a lot of contrast in this image. The first thing I noticed was the contrast of color because it was taken at sunrise there sky has contrast between the cooler colors at the top and the warm colors closer to the sun. The mountains and the snow also provide a black and white contrast because the mountains were in shadow from the sun they look very dark, which I think helps the snow look whiter and more pure. There are also a lot contrasting textures in this image. The softness of the clouds compared to the sharp bubbly texture of the icicle and the jagged mountain line. The smooth sections of snow and the parts that have tracks though them also give textural contrast.

Balance: This photo graph is very a-symmetrical. However, I think that the elements of the picture have are balanced by a sort of mirroring. If you take the image and split it in half horizontally the colors are balance out by their mirror image. What I mean by that is the warmth of the colors by the sun is balance by the darkness of the mountains and the cool colors in the sky are mimicked by the color of the snow. This mirroring provides balance throughout the entire background of the photo, and draws the eye to the focal point of the image, which is the icicle.

Harmony: I am actually surprised that this image gives me the felling of harmony because I generally dislike images that remind me of feeling cold. I find them harsh and unforgiving, but this image is very peaceful to me. I think a large part of that is due to the sunrise and the smoothness in the transition of colors. I also think that this picture looks very untouched. there is so much simple natural beauty involved with the landscape, the sunrise and the icicle that I think the image reminds me of innocence. Every color and detail of the picture seem to be working together and that makes the final project look so crisp and so complete that is is difficult for me at least not to feel peace while looking at this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment